A clean house can lead to peace of mind – and a healthy body can further strengthen the mind and spirit, especially when you consider the merits of natural medicine. We have expanded on the merits of housecleaning in the past – today we focus on turmeric, a powerful natural spice native to India that now has broad availability around the globe. Turmeric gives curries their distinctive yellow color and is the base of many dishes across the Indian subcontinent. It has been used for thousands of years as a natural remedy as well. Here are some amazing health benefits of turmeric:
- Turmeric increases the antioxidant capacity of the body: The active ingredient in turmeric (curcumin) has powerful antioxidant effects. It neutralizes free radicals on its own and then stimulates the body’s own antioxidant enzymes.
- Turmeric lowers the risk of heart disease: Studies have suggested that turmeric improves the performance of the endothelium, a layer of tissue lining the blood vessels in the heart, that regulate blood pressure, blood clotting, and other factors.
- Turmeric can improve the health of skin: Because it is anti-inflammatory turmeric can actually heal the skin. It reduces redness and other skin irritation. It is also antibacterial which makes it useful to treat blemishes and acne.
- Turmeric may reduce joint pain: Some studies have shown that turmeric supplements are just as effective as ibuprofen in treating knee osteoarthritis.
- Controls Diabetes: Turmeric is known to moderate insulin levels. It also improves glucose control and increases the effect of medications used to treat diabetes. Those interested should definitely speak to their doctor about how turmeric could help them in this regard.
- Boosts Immunity: Those who embrace alternative healing definitely can attest to the immunity-boosting powers of turmeric. It contains a substance known as lipopolysaccharide, which helps stimulate the body’s immune system.
- Fights Cancer: Certain studies have shown that frequent use of turmeric lowers the rate of prostate, colon, breast, and lung cancer.
With all the amazing benefits of turmeric, there are also some possible side effects. It is also advisable that you begin any treatment with conservative amounts and speak to a licensed healthcare professional if you have any concerns.
Alternative medicines are gaining in popularity for a reason. For many it provides the same results of prescription medications. Starting to incorporate natural remedies into your day to day rhythm can be an important factor in changing your lifestyle, leading to a healthier, stronger, and more energetic version of yourself.